This, the oldest Seventh-day Adventist college and the pioneer in the world-wide system of Christian education, was charted in 1874 at Battle Creek as Battle Creek College. It was moved to Berrien Springs in 1901 where its name was changed to Emmanuel Missionary College. The first classes here were held in tents. The old Berrien County Courthouse served as an administration building. Permanent buildings were erected by student labor. In 1960 the Adventists' Theological Seminary, founded in 1934, and the Graduate School (1957), were moved here from Washington, D.C., to join Emmanuel Missionary College under one charter as Andrews University. The name honors a pioneer Adventist author, administration, and missionary, John Nevins Andrews.